Raiders 36 Warriors 16

Warriors owner Eric Watson may not be in a rush to sell the NRL club, but he might not want to wait too much longer after today's 36-16 loss to Canberra.

The Warriors stocks must be plummeting by the week after their sixth straight defeat - the heaviest of the season - with the club record eight consecutive losses in danger of being matched or even exceeded, with three more games still to play.

With their finals hopes already dashed, the match was overshadowed by news this morning that Watson is in discussions to sell the club to Auckland businessman Paul Davys.


Kearney knew little about the possible change of ownership and insisted the uncertainty around the club's future had not been addressed by the coaching staff or players before kick-off.

"No, because it's not an issue. It's absolutely not an issue," said Kearney.

"We've got no control over that. What we've got control over is one how we come out and play and how we come out and compete.

"And I'm in the same position, I don't have any control over it, so it's just a matter of keeping the guys focussed on what they've got to do and (making sure) I'm focussed on what I've got to do.

"I'm not here to talk about what's in the future. I'm talking about the now, so my focus is not on a prospective owner. My focus is on trying to get the team ready to play (Souths) on Friday night."

After being slammed for their poor effort in last week's loss to Newcastle, the understrength Warriors at least turned in a more committed performance despite going down by six tries to three at Mt Smart Stadium.

With Kiwis internationals Shaun Johnson and Kieran Foran sidelined with injury, young halves Mason Lino and Ata Hingano stood tall to lead the Warriors attack as they looked to fight their way back from an 18-6 halftime deficit.

Sustained pressure eventually brought reward with captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck crossing to bring them back within eight points, but Kearney lamented their inability to defend errors as the Raiders ran in three late tries.

"It's another disappointing night," he said.

"There were periods of the game I thought the lads really competed and got themselves back into an arm wrestle.

"But around the 60 minute mark, we had completed the first 10 sets of the second-half and then made a number of errors back to back.

"We just didn't show enough resilience when we did make those errors and ultimately that's what hurt us."

Early in the first-half the Warriors enjoyed several sets on the Raiders line but a lack of accuracy saw them unable to capitalise, with centre Solomone Kata failing to ground a grubber to the ingoal.

Kata suffered a shoulder injury in the process which temporarily forced a major reshuffle, while the Raiders scored twice through left wing Nick Cotric and centre partner Jarrod Croker for a 12-0 lead.

The home side eventually scored after the ball was tapped-back from an attacking kick with several players handling before David Fusitu'a crossed out wide, but the Raiders jumped clear again when five-eighth Blake Austin scored their third try before the break.

The Warriors were unable to execute when chances presented themselves and a try to rookie back-rower Isaiah Papali'i in the dying stages was too little too late.

"We just lacked the confidence and polish to make them pay for it and consequently we fell away in the back end or the last quarter which is disappointing."