Rugby World Cup organisers in Auckland are breathing a lot easier today after transport ran smoothly at yesterday's clash between France and Japan at North Harbour Stadium.
Auckland Transport's Rugby World Cup transport director, Bruce Barnard, today reported
"light traffic'' travelling to and from the stadium, no problems with parking and about 800 people using a free bus shuttle system from Bush Rd, south of Albany.
About 7000 people took buses to and from the match.
Waitemata District Commander Superintendent Bill Searle said the crowd was well behaved.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
Seven people were evicted from the ground for intoxication and bad behaviour, one of whom was arrested.
There were 29 arrests for minor offences in Auckland overnight, "a relatively quiet night'', he said.
Auckland Council chief executive Doug McKay said it had been a strong second day for the tournament in Auckland, saving everything went well at North Harbour Stadium.
"It was a fun day, there were lots of families and the crowd really got into
the match with tremendous support for the Japanese,'' he said.
Queens Wharf, where thousands of people were crushed at the gates during Friday's opening ceremony, was relatively quiet yesterday with between 3000 and 4000 people, and up to 6000 people during the three matches broadcast live on several screens.
A report into public transport chaos on Friday is being undertaken by Auckland Transport
chairman Mark Ford and chief executive David Warburton.
It is expected to be in the hands of Auckland Mayor Len Brown on Tuesday.