Neighbours in one of Auckland's most exclusive suburbs are at war over a dog permit application, which is now under investigation by the police.

The squabble - which has escalated to egg-throwing and court action - centres on the legal right for dogs Theodore Eugene de St Croix (Ted) and Telulah Lily Pop du Vitiere to live with their owner in Orakei.

READ MORE: It's a dog's life here in the suburbs

People living in Auckland Council's central, Franklin, Papakura or Waitakere areas need a permit to have more than one dog on their property, which requires consent from immediate neighbours.


Owner Cherie de St Croix has denied listing her neighbours' names on the permit application in a way which suggested they supported her bid to keep two dogs at home.

A council spokeswoman confirmed it had made a complaint to police about the application "as it would when any allegations of this nature are brought to our attention".

The permit issue surfaced during failed legal action by Ms de St Croix, who was seeking a restraining order through the Auckland District Court against Neville Henderson, one of her two immediate neighbours on a shared driveway on Coates Ave.

Mr Henderson said he was stunned to view a copy of the dog permit and see neighbours listed under a section headed "Neighbour's Consent" he was sure had not consented.

He said he had told Ms de St Croix "there was no way in the world I'd sign a permit for her to have two dogs".

He said he told her this during the argument which sparked her bid for a restraining order and understood it to be the position of others living around her.

Four of the six neighbours named on the form, including Auckland councillor Mike Lee, have now said in affidavits to the court they never signed the document.

Ms de St Croix said her neighbours had misunderstood the dog permit application, which invited the applicant to list those who supported it along with those who did not grant consent.

She said her neighbours were listed as non-consenting and another part of the form, which the council had covered with a large black box, showed the signatures of those who did support her application.

The council spokeswoman said it was believed to be the first time it had referred a dog permit application to the police.

She said the existing permit was valid while the police investigation was under way. At that stage, regardless of the outcome, the permit would be reviewed.

A police spokeswoman said the investigation was ongoing.