Smoke alarms alerted a family to ceiling fire in their Canterbury home early this morning.

Two fire trucks were called to the scene of the blaze on Matthew St, in Kaiapoi, Canterbury, about 4.50am this morning, southern fire communications shift manager Tim Reynolds said.

He said the fire had started in the ceiling.

"Occupants of the property there were woken by smoke alarms, all the occupants made their way out of the house."

Advertisement

He said no one was injured in the fire, which had since been brought under control.

Mr Reynolds said he was unsure as to the cause of the fire, but credited smoke alarms for preventing serious injury or damage to the house.

"They alerted them to the fire, and allowed them get out safely."