A Christchurch man killed in an alleged hit-and-run was remembered for his cheeky smile, passion for motorbikes and the special bond he shared with his identical twin brother.

Tearful family and friends packed into Burnside's Westpark Chapel to farewell Sean Leonardus Hutt, 20, today. He was hit by a car in Shands Rd, Hornby on Saturday night.

Harry Silcock, 18, a welder, was allegedly the driver of a red Toyota involved in the tragedy, which police say may have resulted from racing or an overtaking move.

Silcock was charged with being the driver of a vehicle involved in a fatal accident and failing to render assistance.


He was granted bail on Monday and will reappear in Christchurch District Court on October 1.

Hutt's friend, Kyle Thomson, 17, who was shoved out of the way by his dead mate, escaped with a broken leg and was among many who paid respects.

Family friend Mary Mason told those gathered that twins, Sean and Callum, did everything together.

"These twins, the best of friends, were joined at the hip," she said.

Known as 'Sparrow' to his friends, the Ford fan shared a love for cars and motorbikes with his twin brother, who was also his best friend.

"Motorbike riding was his main passion, which he started at the age of seven," she said. "He'd ride at McLeans Island, Springfield or on the driveway at home. If the old boy (dad) wasn't home he'd be ripping up the grass in the paddocks. With cars, he'd always say, 'This one is a bargain, a project car, in mint condition'."

Mt Hutt attended Akaroa Area School and learnt to play golf at Devauchelle.

The youngest of four brothers, the twins lived a true Huckleberry Finn lifestyle as they'd get up at sunrise and return home at sunset.

Mr Hutt always saw the best in everything, which extended to cars and despite living on a shoestring budget, he always wore a smile.

"A car without a motor was quiet running," Ms Mason said. "He'd see it and think he could put another motor in it. He could always see the value in cars that no one else could, even if others proved to be right. This would often result in a car going down the drive on a tow rope, back to the wreckers, having spent three quarters of his money on it, he would still be happy. He loved pottering around and would say, 'You wait and see - it'll be fine'."

The family relocated to Christchurch in 2006, where the twins attended Burnside High School and Mr Hutt played Golf at Russley Golf Club.

After he left school, Mr Hutt became a builder and worked for two years building houses in Pegasus Town, then at a Rolleston sawmill.

Recently he found his niche working for Transfield Services as a supervisor building foundations for electricity towers.

"Callum was always part of Sean's plans. Sean was very loyal to him, his family and his friends. He was easy going, kind, gentle, he had a trusting nature, always had a smile on his face and made the most of his life."

Wiping tears from his eyes, older brother Patrick compared his little twin brothers to Starsky and Hutch because they were always together and were always up to something.

"The twins grew up so fast when they moved to Christchurch. Cars, motorbikes, girls and beer - every young man's wildest dreams.

"We are all going to miss you so much Seany. You will always be remembered, never forgotten, that cheeky little smile. We will all ride together again one day."

Sean's wooden casket was scrawled with multi-coloured messages, a Ford sign, flowers and a cap.

As the service came to an end everyone stood as brothers Joseph, Patrick, Callum and father Alistair carried Mr Hutt's coffin to Ford Falcon hearse.