The 45-year-old mountainbike rider arrested yesterday and charged with an alleged bike rage incident claims he's the victim of a "media frenzy".

But the unnamed man, who moved to Christchurch last year for earthquake rebuilding work, has told police he regrets his actions, seen in a video which has since gone viral.

He was visited at his city family home by police at 9am yesterday after a week-long hunt.

After being questioned at his house, he was charged with assault and told to appear in district court on Monday.


Jordan Brizzell, 24, claimed he was attacked by another cyclist who wouldn't let him pass on the popular Flying Nun trail in the Port Hills about 4.40pm on April 8.

The incident was captured on his helmet-mounted camera and went viral after being posted online.

It has now been viewed more than 147,000 times on YouTube.

Detective Sergeant Ross Tarawhiti said the public had assisted in tracking the alleged attacker, a task made more difficult "by all the bike gear he had on".

"We found him at his family home and he wasn't overly pleased to see us in the beginning," Mr Tarawhiti said.

He said the man wasn't surprised at being charged, but expressed "disappointment" with how he had acted.

" He's quite remorseful about what has happened," Mr Tarawhiti said.

"He was aware that we were wanting to speak to him and I think he regrets not coming forward. It was just a matter of time before we were going to get to him.

"He says that the exposure he's had through the media - which he calls a media frenzy - hasn't been helpful for him and his family."

Mr Brizzell said he posted the video because he wanted to identify his alleged assailant.

The man appears to knock Mr Brizzell to the ground, where a struggle ensues.

Yesterday, Mr Brizzell said the remorse shown by the man over the incident was important to him.

"I'm just glad that he really regrets it. That just shows he has a soul, I suppose. He realises he has made a mistake."

However, he was surprised the man did not go to police of his own volition, as his picture was in the public arena.

Mr Brizzell said police would be laying out a range of options on how to proceed with charging the man, and he was still to decide what he wanted to happen.

Asked if he wanted to meet his alleged attacker again, he said: "I'm indifferent really. I don't have any hate for him or anything."

Mr Tarawhiti said the video from Mr Brizzell's helmet-camera had helped them.

"By having the video, investigators can look at and decide who is at fault."