Former Labour MP Darren Hughes has been the subject of allegations about another late-night incident after a boozy evening out.

The Herald on Sunday has learned of claims about Hughes and a worker from a party leader's office who were in a group drinking at a 2009 Christmas party.

The staffer is understood to have been asked by Hughes to carry on drinking, and was then the subject of a sexual approach. The young man objected and left.

The party leader quizzed the young man to see if he wanted to make a formal complaint. He declined, saying the incident was a misguided "pass".

Hughes' political career ended on Friday when he resigned after a police complaint by an 18-year-old man about an incident on the night of March 2.

Witnesses have told of seeing a distressed, naked man on the street near the Wellington home Hughes shares with Labour deputy leader Annette King on the same morning.

Hughes, 32, has refused interviews, saying in a statement: "I have done nothing wrong, and I remain confident that the legal process will have the right outcome.

"My immediate focus is on clearing my name. I will continue to co-operate fully with the police inquiry, which will unfortunately need to continue in the glare of publicity."

The revelations about the second set of allegations come as a friend of Hughes argued Labour bosses should have protected Hughes from his partying lifestyle.

The friend said Hughes had not had support in key personal areas and had been left to make poor choices. "Darren just really needs to be clear about the choices he made."

The Herald on Sunday was also told that a Labour MP confronted Hughes after questions were raised about his interaction with one of his staff in 2008.

A witness said Hughes was told to take responsibility for his sexuality to which he responded saying: "I'm not gay."

Meanwhile, it has emerged that Labour leader Phil Goff knew about the police inquiry into Hughes for almost a week longer than he previously admitted.

Labour's media unit initially denied there was an investigation when first asked on Monday.

On Wednesday, Goff said he was told of the complaint "a couple of weeks ago" - Wednesday March 9.

On Friday, Goff told NewstalkZB: "I don't remember the exact date or day on which it happened but I was told shortly thereafter."

And yesterday Goff's press secretary Fran Mold said: "He knew after the complaint was made."

She said the complaint was made on Friday, March 4 and Goff was told over the weekend of March 5-6. She said he could not remember which day.

Last night, Goff said he was contacted just after Hughes found out on "Friday or Saturday". The gradual clarification sheds no light on when King found out.

Their Hataitai house was searched by police after the night at the centre of the allegations.

Goff said he was sure King would have told him as soon as she learned of a problem.

He said he believed she found out after the complaint was laid.

Meanwhile, former Labour MP Judith Tizard said last night she may take at least a week to decide if she wants to return to Parliament.

Party leader Phil Goff rang her yesterday to ask if she was planning to take the spot vacated by Hughes.

Tizard said she had "some unfinished business" and it would also be nice to say "stick it up you" to those who didn't want her back.

Tizard plans to speak to friends, including former Prime Minister Helen Clark before she decides.

Asked if she supported Goff as leader, she said: "He has to decide if New Zealanders see him as a future Prime Minister. Phil could be a Prime Minister. I think a Prime Minister has to lead, has to be very fair, very generous. The question for Phil is if he can step up to that."