New Zealand is the third most popular destination for film buffs wanting to follow in their favourite character's footsteps.
A USA Today reader's poll voted New Zealand third in a list of the 10 best cinematic destinations around the world.
Scotland took first place and Petra, Jordan was voted second.
"Iconic TV shows and movies have launched a new era of tourism," said USA Today, and fans are now offered real life experiences based in the locations of their favourite stories.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
For New Zealand, the obvious appeal for many cinematic tourists was Lord of the Rings.
"Peter Jackson's already classic fantasy trilogy showcased the dramatic landscapes of the country in front of global audiences," said USA Today.
"Today, visitors can tour the set of quaint Hobbiton near Matamata, visit the Weta Cave Workshop in Wellington to see sets and props from the films or take guided day trips from Queenstown or Wellington into the countryside to see the very landscapes depicted in the movies."
The Top 10:
1. Scotland (Braveheart)
2. Petra, Jordan (Indiana Jones)
3. New Zealand (Lord of the Rings)
4. Salzburg, Austria (The Sound of Music)
5. Dyersville, Iowa (Field of Dreams)
6. Albuquerque, United States (Breaking Bad)
7. Dubrovnik, Croatia (Game of Thrones)
8. Bruges, Belgium (In Bruges)
9. Santa Barbara Wine Country, United States (Sideways)
10. Las Vegas, United States (Ocean's 11, The Hangover)