There is an abundance of rhubarb growing in my garden. Each Sunday we are stewing rhubarb with apple to enjoy with our muesli during the week. Here, I have made a light jelly with a hint of vodka. (Feel free to alter the liquid to half water, half vodka). A fun finish to a meal before you all head out to dance the night away.
|1||Orange peel, from half an orange|
|6 stalks||Rhubarb, cut into 2cm lengths (Main)|
|3 tsp||Gelatine (Main)|
|100 ml||Vodka (Main)|
|1 cup||Whipped cream, lightly whipped|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Place the sugar, water and orange peel into a pot. Slowly bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar. Add the rhubarb cooking gently for 5 minutes or until the rhubarb is cooked but still holding its shape.
- Pour into a sieve and strain off all the liquid and reserve.
- Sprinkle the gelatin into ½ cup of the strained hot juice and stir to dissolve. Return to the remaining juice. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Add the vodka.
- In 4 glasses pour some juice, add a few bits of rhubarb, then juice and more rhubarb reserving a bit for garnish. Place into the fridge for at least 4 hours to set.
- Before serving top with lightly whipped cream and a few pieces of rhubarb.