I recommend using damson plums if you can get them. They make the best jam - rich, deep in colour and with a bit of lemon for a little tartness. Scrummy on toast, scones, brioche or a bakewell tart. Plus there is enough to store away for winter.
|1 ½ kgs||Plums (Main)|
|2||Lemons, juiced, use up to 3 lemons|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- In a large pot, place the plums and water. Bring to a simmer to soften the plums.
- Remove from the heat and, with a slotted spoon, remove the stones.
- Return to the heat and add the sugar and lemon juice. Stir occasionally until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a rolling boil for 20 minutes.
- Test a bit on a saucer to ensure it is starting to set.
- Remove from the heat, and bottle in sterilised jars, cover and label.