The sauce makes enough for two meals. You can keep in the fridge for up to two days or freeze for later. Serve with jasmine rice and a bowl of tender, young steamed green beans.
|3 Tbsp||Vegetable oil, such as sunflower oil|
|600 g||Chicken thighs, boned, skinned and cut into 2.5-3cm pieces (Main)|
|3 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|1 piece||Fresh ginger, 5cm, peeled and finely chopped|
|2 stalks||Lemongrass, light green part only, finely chopped|
|3||Green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped|
|4||Coriander roots, with some stalk, cleaned thoroughly and finely chopped|
|1 handful||Coriander leaves|
|1 handful||Basil leaves, plus a few extra leaves for sprinkling|
|1||Lime, zest and juice, plus 1 lime cut into wedges|
|2||Kaffir lime leaves, very finely shredded|
|1 can||Coconut milk, 400g|
|1 splash||Fish sauce|
|1 tsp||Sea salt|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Heat a large frying pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Rub 2 tablespoons of oil over the chicken pieces and, in batches, brown on both sides. Remove to a plate as you go and set aside.
- Remove pan from the heat to cool a little. Replace over low heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. When hot, add the shallots, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, chilli and coriander roots. Cook, stirring until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the coriander and basil leaves, kaffir lime leaves, lime zest and juice, half of the coconut milk and fish sauce. Place all in a blender or liquidiser and blend well. It should be very smooth. Add the remaining coconut milk and blend again.
- Place the chicken pieces back in the pan, pour half of the blended sauce (store the remainder in fridge or freezer for another easy weeknight meal) and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook gently until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning, adding salt if needed.Serve sprinkled with the extra basil leaves and lime wedges for squeezing.Serve sprinkled with the extra basil leaves and lime wedges for squeezing.