Make space for this hearty salad in your dinner rotation. With mildly spiced chicken and crunchy peanuts, this plate of bountiful greens and pumpkin will change the way you look at veggies!
|1 drizzle||Olive oil|
|400 g||Diced pumpkin (Main)|
|⅓ cup||Soy sauce|
|2 ½ Tbsp||Honey|
|2 Tbsp||Rice wine vinegar|
|640 g||Chicken thighs (Main)|
|1||Long green chilli|
|120 g||Mixed salad leaves|
|30 g||Roasted peanuts|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Slice the red onion into 2cm wedges. Cut the courgette (unpeeled) into 1cm chunks.
- Place the peeled & chopped pumpkin, onion and courgette on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer and roast until tender, 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. TIP: If your oven tray is crowded, separate across two oven trays.
- While the veggies are roasting, finely chop the garlic. In a medium bowl, combine the garlic, soy sauce, honey and 2/3 of the rice wine vinegar. Add the chicken thigh and toss to coat. When the veggies have 10 minutes cook time remaining, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Using tongs, pick up the chicken and let the excess marinade drip back into the bowl. Add the chicken to the pan and cook, turning, until browned and cooked through, 10-14 minutes. In the last 5 minutes of cook time, add the remaining marinade and simmer until reduced slightly. TIP: The marinade will darken and caramelise – this adds to the flavour!
- While the chicken is cooking, combine the mayonnaise and water in a small bowl. Set aside. Roughly chop the tomato. Thinly slice the long green chilli (if using). In a large bowl, combine the remaining rice wine vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the roasted veggies, tomato and mixed salad leaves and toss to coat.
- Slice the chicken. Divide the roast pumpkin salad between bowls and top with the honey-soy glazed chicken. Spoon over any remaining marinade from the pan and drizzle over the mayo. Garnish with the roasted peanuts and chilli (if using).