A son who was house-sitting for his parents set their home on fire after he used a blowtorch to kill spiders.
Firefighters were called to the scene after the man was trying to kill black widow spiders.
According to firefighters, the man sprinted out of the house and called the fire brigade after his attempt to solve his creepy crawly problem went horribly wrong.
No one was injured during the fire.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
Fire crews said there is damage to the second story of the home and the attic.
Nearly 30 firefighters responded to the two-alarm fire and were able to put it out.
It's not the first time a blowtorch and spiders have come back to haunt homeowners.
Last year an America man went to great lengths to kill spiders in the middle of the night. His weapon of choice led to him losing his home.
A man who tried to "kill spiders with a blowtorch" burned his house to the ground after creating an inferno that required 23 firefighters to contain.
The incident happened in Tucson, Arizona, after a man was suspected of using a propane torch to kill spiders and burn spider webs underneath the mobile home.
The blaze that resulted forced him and an elderly woman out of their home, which was completely gutted.