Police say a knife-wielding bikie associate was shot dead by officers because a taser strike was "ineffective".

It is alleged that officers were "in fear of their lives" during an incident outside a home in Brisbane's bayside earlier Sunday.

Police say that Liam Scorsese, 31, arrived at the home at Goulburn Street at Wakerley before 10am armed with the knife, and tried to break in, threatening his ex-girlfriend.

Scorsese was a known Comanchero associate, police said.


However, Scorsese's lawyer has spoken out — saying he wasn't a bikie and was just a guy with tattoos and some bad friends.

Gold Coast lawyer Ashkan Tai said his client was working to get his life in order.

"He had enrolled in a barber's course. Just because he got into one incident with the Comancheros, police label him. He wasn't a bikie, he was just a man that was tattooed and had some bad friends," Tai has told the Courier Mail. "His family are obviously extremely distressed ... I would hope Ethical Standards investigate fairly the question of how a man can be shot dead by police, in suburbia, in the early hours, on a Sunday morning."

There were reports the man was heard yelling at police: "Shoot me, shoot me."

"He was armed, he has threatened police and as a result of those threats one officer has fired two shots," Detective Chief Superintendent Mick Niland told reporters. "Police were in fear of their lives at the time."

He added that residents phoned police and two officers tried to Taser the man before retreating 50 or 60 metres down the street.

However, the 31-year-old Gold Coast man followed the police and threatened them, resulting in one of the officers firing two shots at him.

AAP reports that the officers and a neighbour performed CPR on the man before paramedics arrived.


Police confirmed to news.com.au the man was taken to Princess Alexandra Hospital in a critical condition. However, he subsequently died.

Scorsese registered a business at the Goulburn St home with another man in 2016, the Courier-Mail reports, and had previously listed the home as his bail address, according to sources.

The Queensland Police Service's Ethical Standards Command has launched an investigation into the incident on behalf of the State Coroner, with the assistance of the Crime and Corruption Commission.

Chief Supt Niland said the incident was "traumatic" for both the family and the police involved and the officers were receiving counselling.

It is the second shooting incident involving Queensland police in less than two weeks, after a 16-year-old boy was shot after allegedly lunging at officers with a knife at Springfield, southwest of Brisbane on February 14. He was later charged after being released from hospital after treatment for non- life threatening injuries.