A 13-year-old boy tragically died after attempting to rescue his paralysed father from their burning home.
According to Oklahoma police, the 13-year-old boy and a 16-year-old girl were at the home with their father when it began to go up in smoke.
Police said the daughter and son were sleeping in the living room when the girl woke up and saw that the room was on fire.
She ran across the street to a neighbour's house for help, while her brother tried to get their paralysed father into a wheelchair but they were both overcome by smoke and died, the Daily Mail reported.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
By the time firefighters managed to put the fire out, it was too late.
"Upon arrival the deputies found the house engulfed in flames," Love County Sheriff Marty Grisham said. "[They] attempted to enter the house, couldn't make it through the front due to the fire and couldn't make it to the back also due to fire and debris."
While an official cause is still being determined, police believed multiple space heaters in the home contributed to the blaze.
A GoFundMe account has been set up seeking $10,000 to help the family with funeral expenses and living arrangements.