The Super Rugby competition involving teams from Australia and New Zealand is set to go ahead, with a travel bubble between the two nations set to operate from next month.
The combined transtasman competition, scheduled to start on May 14, had been clouded due to travel restrictions between Australia and New Zealand.
But with reports of the New Zealand cabinet set to approved a quarantine-free travel bubble, the competition Reds coach Brad Thorn is desperate for Queensland to be a part of seems set to go ahead.
"It has to happen, make it happen, and it sounds like that's what they're doing," Thorn said.
"There's good footy going on here in Australia, there's good footy going in there in New Zealand, and it's important that (the trans-Tasman competition) happens.
"The supporters will enjoy that... it's a good thing."
If there are further Covid-19 complications and ramifications between now and May, Thorn and the Reds are willing to relocate to a New Zealand hub to ensure the competition goes ahead.
"We can be the 'Queenstown Reds' for five weeks, 40 minutes from where I grew up on the hills of the Southern Alps," he said.
"Wherever it needs to happen, hopefully it happens."
The Reds are keen to maintain their unbeaten start to the Super Rugby AU season when they host the Western Force at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.
"Hopefully, it's a really good contest again," said Thorn, whose side beat the Brumbies 40-38 in a thriller last Saturday in Canberra.
"They (the Force) have a lot of experience … they'll be coming to get the job done."