Police investigating rugby's spying scandal have turned on All Black bosses and their delay in reporting the discovery of a bug.

The listening device was last night being examined by New South Wales Police forensic experts after it was found in the All Blacks' team room in their Sydney hotel.

It was uncovered during a security sweep of the room on Monday but wasn't reported to police until yesterday.

Asked whether the five-day delay made the investigation tougher, Superintendent Brad Hodder said "any delay in any investigation's always tough but we'll look at that information".


"We will be looking at all avenues and what part of the legislation it comes under, in particular ... telecommunications offences and the Devices Listening Act." The device - the sort used by law enforcement and spying agencies - was planted in a chair at the Double Bay InterContinental Hotel, where the team have been since Sunday.

New Zealand Rugby chief executive Steve Tew said it was likely to have recorded a team meeting.

The revelation sent shockwaves around the rugby world and is likely to force an investigation by the governing body. World Rugby declined to comment last night.

After last night's Bledisloe match, attention will today turn to who planted it. Hodder said police had no theories. The hotel is also investigating how it happened.

Australian Rugby Union chief Bill Pulver told the Herald on Sunday the ARU had no involvement in the scandal and both unions had handed the incident over to police.

He was concerned it had come to light "on match day".

Former coach Sir Graham Henry told the Herald on Sunday he was shocked. However, he said there had been spying in the past with videoing of training or taking notes.

"That sort of thing has happened in world rugby before, let's be frank about that. But I've never heard of bugging before."

He revealed All Black management had employed security advisors to check for breaches - including listening devices - since at least 2004.

All Black great Sir John Kirwan described it as a "sad day for rugby".

"It's really important we get to the bottom of who did it and make sure that they're punished accordingly. It's bringing the game into disrepute."