- Eight people confirmed dead, autopsies and formal identification continues today
- Eight more thought to be on island
- 30 in hospital - 8 in Christchurch, 7 in Middlemore Hospital, 6 in Waikato, 4 in Hutt Valley, 2 in Auckland City, 2 in Tauranga Base Hospital and 1 in Wellington
- One injured Australian due to fly from Wellington to an Australian hospital overnight
- More Australian patients expected to be flown to hospitals across Tasman in coming days
- 47 people were on or near the island when the volcano erupted - 24 Australians, nine from the US, five Kiwis, four Germans, two Chinese, two from UK and one from Malaysia
Warning: Distressing content
Horrifying footage of how a popular tourist spot was turned into a place of tragedy has been released in a 12-minute video by a tourist who was on White Island minutes before the eruption.
Brazilian Allessandro Kauffman, who shared the video on Facebook, documented the entire trip - from the time the excited visitors boarded the boat to the Island, to the sense of panic when they witnessed the eruption when leaving the island.
Police said 47 people were on or near the island when the volcano erupted, eight have since died and eight more people are thought to still be on the island. Police said there were no further "signs of life".
• White Island eruption: Two more deaths in hospital overnight, official toll now eight
• White Island eruption: The dead, the missing and the injured
• White Island eruption: Emergency doctor describes 'war zone' horror at hospital
• White Island eruption: Three more victims named
The video showed passengers arriving happy on the scenic island. Things were calm, and some took selfies as they walked towards the crater.
The tourists had finished the trip when footage showed them witnessing the aftermath of the eruption from on board the boat.
As a giant ash cloud raced across the island, shouts were made for the survivors to get inside the boat as it raced away from the site.
People on board were heard shouting "Oh my god, go, go, go, go, we've got to get out of here."
Kauffmann, who had travelled to White Island with his partner Aline Moura, said they left the island and it "wasn't even five minutes before it erupted".
He said on Instagram: "Some people have extensive burns on their bodies. Two tours on the volcano. Ours was the first. The other one right after...
"This other tour that arrived after couldn't leave in time."