Youths letting off fireworks on a beach north of Auckland caused a large palm tree in a residential section to go up in flames last night.
Leah White said the tree was set alight by a stray firework just on midnight, as people were celebrating on the beach at Matakatia Bay, Whangaparaoa.
Quite a few people were setting off fireworks on the beach, while a group of older teenagers were setting them off close to houses.
"One hit the middle of the tree trunk and the whole tree just very quickly set alight."
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
The fire occurred just on midnight, as the Sky Tower fireworks display was going off.
"It was quite dramatic," she said.
Ms White wasn't sure whether residents at the property were home.
The Manly Fire Station crew responded and put out the fire.
The Fire Service said Manly also responded to another vegetation fire caused by fireworks at Army Bay, Whangaparaoa shortly after midnight. It was out on arrival.