Private prison operator Serco is facing fines of more than $1 million over failings at Mt Eden prison.
Serco is paid about $31.5m a year to run the jail.
About $3m of that is made up of performance bonuses and fines can only be deducted from that, TV3 News reported tonight.
Documents released to the TV network broke down the fines Serco is facing or has already been slapped with over the past year.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
It does not include any action over allegations of fight clubs and contraband at the prison.
In total the private prisoner operator will be at least $1,090,000 out of pocket, TV3 reported.
This is made up of fines totalling $615,043 for:
• Failure to control prisoners $50,000
• Unlawfully mixing inmates $100,000
• To meet reporting targets $150,000
• Failing to keep serious assaults down $315,043
And fines pending of $475,000 for:
• Unlawful detention $25,000
• Failing to meet education targets $50,000
• Twice failing to ensure prisoner safety $200,000
• Breaching serious assault targets $50,000
• Death in custody $150,000.