Sentencing has been put off for the teenager who seriously injured good Samaritan Lucy Knight.
Hendrix Hauwai, 17, pleaded guilty to two counts of assault with intent to rob and causing grievous bodily harm to facilitate his flight from the scene after the incident on September 23 and was due to find out his fate today.
Judge Ajit Singh acknowledged it was regrettable today's sentencing at North Shore District Court could not proceed but said there were outstanding matters for which the defendant did not have legal representation.
The court heard those issues would likely be ironed out this afternoon once legal aid was granted.
Crown prosecutor Brian Dickey said the victims - neither of whom were in court - thought the sentencing would go ahead and asked the judge to suppress details of the hearing for an hour while they were informed.
Judge Singh granted the brief suppression order and set a sentencing date in February.
Ms Knight, 43, underwent surgery to relieve bleeding on her brain after she tried to stop Hauwai stealing a handbag from Xiao Dong outside Countdown in Northcote.
She tweeted this morning, saying: "Feeling overwhelmed and stressed today. #23SeptReminders".
The mother of six fell and fractured her skull in the incident, which happened in front of her young children.
A Givealittle page set up by friends raised nearly $270,000 for Ms Knight's family.
She previously turned down attending a restorative justice conference with Hauwai.
Ms Knight has also been announced as one of the 10 Herald New Zealander of the Year nominees, the winner of which will be announced tomorrow.