Authorities in New Zealand have issued a warning about unpasteurised milk after the death of an Australian child.
The child's death and four other children falling seriously ill have been linked to the consumption of raw milk in Victoria.
The state's health department issued a warning about drinking the raw milk, which was being sold in health food shops for cosmetic purposes.
The death of a 3-year-old had been referred to the coroner.
A spokeswoman for the Ministry for Primary Industries in New Zealand said there were risks associated with drinking raw milk.
Producers of raw milk needed to tell their customers their product might contain bacteria that could cause illness, she said. Those particularly at risk were the young, old, pregnant and those whose immune system was weakened.
"We also advise producers to inform their customers that it is recommended to heat the milk to 70C for a minute to reduce the risk of bacteria."
The food safety risks associated with drinking raw milk needed to be carefully managed, which was why extensive consultation on the policy and rules applying to the sale of raw milk to consumers was recently undertaken, she said.
Federated Farmers dairy and food safety chairman Andrew Hoggard said sellers were required to make buyers "well aware" of the risks.
"Being unpasteurised [drinkers] are really at risk of any bugs that the cows may have been in contact with and passed through their milk."
Raw milk could not be kept for any length of time, Mr Hoggard said.
"It's important if you are going to buy the stuff, that you are going to get what you need for a day or two at the most and you don't overstock."
Some New Zealand retailers had had to close down because they had not got the hygiene right, Mr Hoggard said.
Australian chief health officer Rosemary Lester said raw milk, which was marketed as bath milk, could affect the kidneys, the bloodstream and cause watery diarrhoea if consumed.