A pensioner bashed to death in his Auckland home was also stabbed several times, say police.

Hedley Ernest Malcolm Gough, commonly known as Harry Gough, was discovered dead in a pool of blood at his Daventry St, Waterview, home on Sunday.

The one-legged, 78-year-old's jaw and nose were broken during the fatal attack, which happened sometime during Saturday evening or early Sunday morning.

Post mortem results reveal he died from multiple head wounds.

The head of Operation Daventry, Detective Inspector Kevin Baker, said several stab wounds had been found on Mr Gough's body, but they were not the cause of his death.

"There do appear to be stab wounds, but they are not that significant. Where they are, how many there are, or their nature, will not be revealed by police."

Police have also not revealed what weapon, if any, might have been used to bludgeon Mr Gough to death.

Mr Baker said the large police team investigating the murder had found several knives and other potential weapons at the house.

He said police were continuing their forensic examination of his home as well as Mr Gough's four cars, one of which - a blue Morris Oxford - was abandoned 50m from his house after an attempt to hot-wire it failed. The car was under covers yesterday and forensic experts are expected to examine it for fingerprints today. They are also checking Mr Gough's red Toyota, found in a shed with a broken window.

Mr Baker said a police canvass of the neighbourhood was to be completed by the end of the week. He appealed for anyone who had visited the address or knew Mr Gough to come forward.

"We are still identifying people we need to talk to. People are still coming forward, but there is another two or three weeks worth of work to do in this area and we need to hear from anyone who may know anything of what's happened."

Mr Gough had lived in his modest state house for eight years. He was not rich and was unlikely to have been killed for his money, said Mr Baker.

He said there were numerous stories circulating about Mr Gough's past and police were looking into his background to see if he had a history which could have led someone to exact their own justice.

"He had a wide variety of friends ... young and old. He was a very open type of personality and left his front door open for people to come and go."

He had no criminal history and there was no indication he was dealing in drugs from the house or involved in any other criminal activity.