An Auckland church targeted by a Jesus statue theft has been struck again with two more religious items taken.

Royal Oak's Carmelite Monastery hit headlines in November after a man and a woman broke into the sacred site, stealing a Sacred Heart Jesus statue and a smaller Infant Jesus of Prague statue.

Images of the first theft of the statues.
Images of the first theft of the statues.

They were recovered the following day, found damaged in a cemetery nearby.

Then on Friday, February 28, a man entered the church and stole two small statues from the monastery's shop area - one a porcelain statue of Mary, and another of St Michael the Archangel.


He returned later that evening, breaking into the chapel and ended up stealing Lenten giving envelopes, used by the congregation to donate with during Lent.

Nun Johanna Keil-Penn said those at the church were "quite fearful" about the second incident occurring in just a few months.

"I never thought I would have to go through this again.

"This time is much scarier though as they broke in twice, whereas the first time they entered while we were open."

But today she revealed the two statues had been recovered by a person who knew the man.

Jesus returns: Stolen statues recovered by Auckland church
Thou shalt not steal! CCTV images show pair stealing Jesus statue from Auckland chapel
Poland: Priest's giant statue is 'world's tallest Christ'
Returned Jesus statue welcomed back to chapel

"Thank you for all your help and we continue to hope that the thief will be caught," she said.

Keil-Penn said she had the name and details of the man, and was assisting police with inquiries.

The returned but damaged Jesus statue. Photo / Supplied
The returned but damaged Jesus statue. Photo / Supplied

"We are all quite fearful at the moment, but have our trust in God - you can't live in fear all of the time."

They'd had a positive response since the burglary from the community though, with offers from people to act as security guards at the chapel.

"We don't want to have to keep it locked, we want people to be able to come in and pray when they want."

A police spokeswoman said they received a report of the burglary on Sunday evening, and police were making inquiries.

It was unclear if it was related to the previous burglary, she said.

In relation to the November burglary, a 36-year-old man is remanded on bail due to reappear in Auckland District Court on March 27 on a burglary charge.

A 28-year-old woman is also remanded on bail, and is due to reappear in Auckland District Court on March 26.