A 16th person has died in Australia following the White Island eruption.
Police confirmed a person who was injured, and later repatriated to Australia, died yesterday.
This person will come under Australia's coronial jurisdiction.
New Zealand authorities will not be responsible for releasing this person's name.
The New South Wales Department of Health confirmed a man who had been transferred to Concord Hospital following the eruption had been in a critical condition and had died yesterday.
The department did not release his name or age at the request of his family, who had asked for privacy.
Two patients remained at Concord Hospital in a critical condition and one patient had been upgraded to a stable condition.
Royal North Shore Hospital has two patients from the eruption in a stable condition and three are critical.
Police earlier formally identified four more White Island victims.
They are Kiwi tour guide Tipene Maangi, 24, Australian schoolgirl Zoe Hosking, 15, and her stepfather Gavin Dallow, 53, and Australian Anthony Langford, 51.
Meanwhile police and Navy divers have re-commenced searching this afternoon for the two remaining bodies at White Island.
The effort to locate and retrieve the last two bodies is proving "tough going for everybody", say police.
The body recovery team has returned to the mainland after spending 75 minutes on Whakaari/White Island this morning without success.
Deputy Police Commissioner Mike Clement confirmed the teams were unable to find either of the last two bodies.
He described the situation as "tough going for everybody", but said police would not give up easily on returning the bodies to loved ones.
"Everyone went out there desperate to find the bodies."
"It's been a blow for police," Clement said.
"We understand completely how frustrating it is for loved ones who want the bodies back."
A search was made along a stream running down the volcano to the sea.
"There is every chance that the second body is also in the sea but we wanted to clear the area today, which is effectively what today's exercise was about," Clement said.
Police had been working on the theory one body was at sea and the other still on land.
Today's search was assisted by two pilots with local knowledge, Clement said.
75 minutes for today's search
The team arrived ashore just after 8.30am today and had enough oxygen for 75 minutes.
As with the first recovery operation, today's plan was contingent on a range of risk factors which had been, and would continually be, assessed, Deputy Commissioner John Tims said today.
Two teams of four Search and Rescue and Disaster Victim Identification staff will be taken to the island by helicopter.
Staff will be deployed to an area of the island where the best information suggests a body might be, Tims said.
"They will be wearing the same protective clothing as the eight New Zealand Defence Force personnel who were on the island on Friday, however their breathing apparatus will be different, meaning they will only be able to stay on the island for up to 75 minutes.
"The police Eagle helicopter will be above the island in an operational support capacity, as will the helicopters that dropped off the ground teams.
• White Island eruption: Search for final two bodies continues, police confirm death of 21-year-old Australian woman
• White Island: Recovery team heading back to mainland
• White Island eruption: Family flies to NZ to support American victims of 'terrible' tragedy
• White Island eruption: Americans Rick and Ivy Reed endure multiple surgeries but in 'good spirits'
Yesterday, a Police National Dive Squad of nine members searched the waters around White Island for a body seen in the water following Monday's eruption.
However, "unique and challenging" weather conditions hindered the water search and no additional bodies to the six recovered on Friday was made.
Tims said conditions in the water around White Island yesterday were "not optimal", with between zero and two metres visibility.
"The water around the island is contaminated, requiring the divers to take extra precautions to ensure their safety, including using specialist protective equipment," Tims said.
"Divers have reported seeing a number of dead fish and eels washed ashore and floating in the water.
"Each time they surface, the divers are decontaminated using fresh water."
Yesterday's water search started at 7am, and was bolstered by the navy dive squad in the afternoon, but did not extend to a further land search of the island itself.
Planning was however undertaken to conduct further land-based searches of the island for the two remaining bodies.
Yesterday afternoon, police officially released the name of the first victim from last week's disaster as 21-year-old Melbourne woman Krystal Browitt.
Up to that point all names released have come from families, not the police.