A man accused of kidnapping and assault after an incident in Whanganui last week has called his accuser a liar and denies the charges against him.
Legrand Anthony Winterburn, 45, pleaded not guilty to five charges when he appeared in the Whanganui District Court yesterday.
The armed offenders squad was sent to Winterburn's Jerusalem home after a call to a domestic-related incident on the Whanganui River Rd on Tuesday February 20, the court was told.
Senior Sergeant Shayne Wainhouse told the Chronicle last week that police searched the house and recovered a number of firearms.
Winterburn was arrested and charged with two counts of kidnapping, one count of verbally threatening to kill, one count of assaulting a female and one count of injuring with intent to injure.
The firearms were licensed and have been seized by Whanganui police.
Winterburn denied all charges and told the judge the victim was a liar who was "just after his money."
Defence lawyer Jamie Waugh said Winterburn had worked as a hunting guide for 15 years and had no history of violence.
"His family are here in support of him today," Mr Waugh told the judge.
A bail application was submitted but was declined.
Winterburn is also facing four other charges that he has denied, including two counts of presenting a firearm and two counts of threatening to kill and do grievous bodily harm with a firearm.
Those matters related to an alleged incident that happened last year with the same victim and were being dealt with in the Hamilton District Court.
Last week's alleged offending occurred while Winterburn was on bail for the Hamilton matters.
Judge Philip Crayton remanded Winterburn in custody for a case review hearing on April 24. A trial by jury was elected.
Judge Crayton also reminded Winterburn that he was due to appear in the Hamilton District Court on March 4.