Police investigating a hit and run in Mt Eden yesterday evening have spoken to a 22-year-old man in relation to the incident.

An elderly couple were struck by an out of control car in Oaklands Rd and catapulted over a fence about 5pm.

The man was hospitalised with a suspected head injury while his wife suffered bruising.

Police said the driver fled on foot.


In a statement tonight, police said the investigation was ongoing "however police are not seeking anyone else in connection with the incident".

No charges have been laid at this stage.

Elderly hit-and-run victim has head wound

An elderly victim has left hospital, but is sporting a black eye and head wound.

The man and his wife, both in their 70s, were flung over a fence after being hit by an out-of-control car on Oaklands Rd just before 5pm yesterday.

The young male driver of the silver Suzuki Swift fled the scene on foot. Police have an idea of who he is but are still searching for him.

The Herald spoke to the couple, who live on Oaklands Rd, this evening.

The man had a black eye, bruising and a bandage on his head, and the woman had also suffered bruising.

They said they were still in shock and were grateful to have escaped with their lives. They declined to comment further about the incident.

The couple were walking with their cat, Cobweb, to the shops when the incident occurred, Newshub reported.

Cobweb stayed with the couple until an ambulance arrived.

Emergency services were called to the incident on Oaklands Rd just before 5pm yesterday. Photo / Google
Emergency services were called to the incident on Oaklands Rd just before 5pm yesterday. Photo / Google

A woman yesterday told the Herald she saw the couple "fly over" her fence and into the garden after being struck.

"The car was driving at a high speed. I don't know how it lost control but it knocked them right over the fence into our garden...

"The driver took off. I knew I couldn't go after him and help the couple [as well] so I yelled out to him, 'Stop! Come back here!'

"A couple of others came out on the street when it happened so I yelled to them to call 111. The ambulance got here really quickly then two police cars with four officers came."

The hit-and-run car has been impounded.