A junior naval sailor allegedly left a trail of blood, his wallet including Navy ID, and a Chicago Bulls hat when he broke into a US Navy house while stationed in Pearl Harbor.

Combat systems specialist Mitchell Jason Campbell, 23, has denied three charges of burglary, theft and wilful damage in relation to the July 1 incident.

He is on trial by court martial at the Devonport Naval Base in Auckland.

The court heard how Campbell allegedly climbed five metres to the second storey of the US naval officer's house in the early hours of the morning after drinking with other officers at a garden bar and club, and purchasing food from Taco Bell.


He allegedly broke into the house by smashing the bedroom window of the officer's 15-year-old son, who was sleeping in a different room at the time.

Panicked and with a cut hand and forearm, Campbell dropped his wallet, which included his Navy ID and a Taco Bell receipt, prosecutor Captain Robert Goguel said. He also left a bloodied packet of cigarettes and lighter in the room.

He then went to the upstairs bathroom, the office where he dropped his Chicago Bulls hat, and to the kitchen where he allegedly stole the officer's son's wallet, compass and sharpening stone.

Finally, he went to the downstairs bathroom and where he left a bloody towel and T-shirt, Goguel said.

DNA testing of the blood would show it was 600,000 million times more likely to come from Campbell than any other person, the court was told.

Campbell was with the HMNZS Te Kaha at Rim of the Pacific international maritime exercise. He was on shore leave on the night of the incident.

Campbell returned to the pier after the incident and was denied entry as he didn't have his ID.

A medic escorted him on board and helped with his injuries. He gave no explanation for his lack of ID or injuries.


The US officer, who cannot be named to protect the identity of his son, reported the break-in to the Naval Crime Investigative Service at Pearl Harbour.

When interviewed by the service, Campbell said he was drunk and couldn't remember anything after the club. But witnesses would give evidence he wasn't that drunk, Goguel said.

On Monday morning, two of Campbell's colleagues, who had been with him on the night, said they didn't remember him being grossly intoxicated. If he had been, he would have been escorted back to the ship.

A court martial is presided over by a judge, and its findings decided upon by a bench of military members independently selected from qualified officers. The trial is expected to finish mid-week.