Volunteer dad's death on way to fundraiser shocks young team.

A football father heading to a morning market to raise money for his son's team has died after being hit by a car. Several young players witnessed the tragedy.

Father-of-two Craig Trickett, 41, was struck by a car on Ash St as he went to help set up a stall at the Avondale Sunday Markets.

He was seriously injured and died in hospital later that day.

Waitakere City Football Club community football manager David Johnson said the death of the devoted dad and long-time club member had left many in shock, including several of his son's 15th grade team who witnessed the accident.


At the time, parents and players were gathering before dawn at the market to sell goods to get the team to a youth tournament in Dallas, Texas, next year.

"He was due to fundraise at the Avondale markets. He was going to do that for the team," Johnson said.

"They were going to be running a stall selling all sorts of things that had been donated."

Now the football club community were about to farewell a "boisterous" 41-year-old dad who was widely respected in Auckland junior football circles and connected to the Waitakere club since he was a boy.

Johnson said the club's thoughts went out to Trickett's wife, Amanda, son Kyran and daughter Brittany, parents John and Susan and all the family who shared a long history with the club.

The accident had left the junior team traumatised, Johnson said.

"We've got a group of 14-year-old boys and their parents who are really cut up about it. A number in the team and their parents witnessed it. Others were already inside the market and heard the noise and then found out what happened."

Despite his loss, teenage son Kyran insisted the team hold their regular training run this week.


"They got together and had a training session. His son wanted to do it," Johnson said.

Police have talked to several team members as they pieced together how the death happened on a restricted-speed suburban street.

A spokeswoman said no charges had been laid in relation to the crash, which was being investigated by the serious crash unit.

Trickett's grieving family declined to comment yesterday.

Johnson said Trickett's death came as a huge sadness for some who had forged longstanding friendships over a lifetime of involvement with football.

"To friends around the club, he was a real good mate."

Trickett also dedicated a lot of time to the club when his son was younger, coaching a 9th grade team.

"The time he spent with those boys is sure to be very special for the boys and their families. He called the team the muppets and he was the head muppet."

Johnson said the club intended to mark Trickett's death at matches this weekend.

A private funeral service will take place in Henderson tomorrow.