Police have identified the body of a man found dumped near a popular lake in rural Canterbury.

He was 36-year-old Marcus Luke Tucker of Christchurch.

Mr Tucker's body was found near lake Lake Ellesmere on Drain Rd, Doyleston on Monday.

Moving tributes to Mr Tucker in the wake of his death have been posted on social media.


A family friend wrote: "No matter what bad decisions Marcus made throughout his life he didn't deserve to go out like this. Thoughts are with his mother, father, brother and son".

One person wrote: "Much love to Marcus' s family & friends. To all those working out on site, please find who did this horrible act and let his family grieve knowing justice is served", while another wrote: "RIP Marcus and my thoughts are with his family".

In 2000 Mr Tucker was jailed for 10 months for charges including breaching hire purchase rules, cheque fraud and drink-driving while suspended, Fairfax reported.

In 2002, the former landscaper was sentenced to community work following his third drink driving offense when he crashed off a road in Oxford and hit a tree stump.

Then in 2006, police were looking for him after he breached his release conditions.

His body was found by a group of Filipino fishermen who reported the grim discovery to Christchurch police on Monday morning.

Police confirmed they have searched Lake Ellesmere with the Police National Dive Squad today in an effort to widen the search for evidence relating to Marcus' death.

Detective Inspector Tom Fitzgerald said police would thoroughly investigating the incident.

"Our thoughts are with Marcus' family following this tragic death."


A homicide investigation was launched on Monday after Mr Tucker's body was discovered by the fisherman.

Police cordoned off the area about 1km away from where he was found and began working to identify the body and ascertain how it had come to be by the lake.

On Tuesday detectives scoured drains searching for clues around his death as the investigation continued.

Officers laid out yellow scene markers and a police photographer took shots of the area.

Later in the day and more than 26 hours after he was found, Mr Tucker's body was removed from the scene by hearse.

Today police contacted local petrol stations asking about small sales of fuel.

All Challenge Petrol stations in Canterbury were asked to capture and retain any receipts of purchases of fuel and amounts which are less than $30.

It follows speculation his body may have been burnt.

A local, who did not wish to be named, noticed a brown Holden stationwagon twice stop outside his Lake Rd property at the weekend.

It struck him as unusual because it was on a bend.

The first time the car stopped, they spent about five minutes there. The second time was a quick stop and go, he said.

He didn't see the vehicle's occupants.

The investigation into Mr Tucker's death is ongoing.