A woman who allegedly drove into her friend, pinning her against a tree and causing serious injuries, has been bailed on strict conditions.

The 50-year-old appeared in North Shore District Court this morning charged with wounding a 55-year-old woman with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and drink driving after yesterday's incident in Birkdale.

Friends told the Herald the pair were friends and colleagues who had been staying together.

The older woman remained in hospital overnight following surgery to repair her foot.


A relative of hers said he could not understand what went wrong between the pair.

"The one who was hurt was staying with [the accused] and helping her out," he said.

The two women were friends and worked together as cleaners, he said.

Community magistrate Dianne Hale suppressed the defendant's name and declined applications to photograph her today because she had not yet taken legal advice.

She was released on bail without plea until next month on a wide range of conditions:

• To stay at a Beach Haven address
• Not to contact the complainant
• Not to drive
• Not to offer violence
• Not to consume or possess alcohol
• Not to enter any licensed premises
• To submit to an alcohol test if asked
• Not to consume or possess non-prescription drugs
• Not to go to a Salisbury Rd address

The incident occurred in Salisbury Rd just after 4pm when a car the women were in came to an abrupt halt in the middle of a roundabout.

Witnesses said one woman jumped from the vehicle and began chasing the other, at one stage throwing a rock at her. Punches were thrown, and one woman was screaming at the other, "you shouldn't have done it", they said.

People nearby had tried to calm the situation, they said.

A 17-year-old resident who ran to the scene after seeing the drama unfold said the injured woman was in a great deal of pain.

A man who was leaving a nearby dairy said he heard a "heated argument" with quite a bit of swearing.

Another person arrived at the scene to find the injured woman had propped herself up against a fence, he said.

"The first thing I did was call out to one of the customers at the dairy and told them to call the police."

A St John Ambulance spokeswoman said the injured woman had been taken to Auckland Hospital with moderate injuries.