Heavy rain that lashed Auckland today caused widespread flooding, power outages and road closures, including at Auckland Airport where both terminals were also leaking.

Power was cut to more than 1600 homes - most of them in St Heliers - and floodwaters closed the road to the airport's domestic terminal.

READ MORE: 40 lightning strikes in two hours

An airport spokesman said there were leaks in both the domestic and international terminals and minor flooding on the airfield, but it didn't affect operations, passengers, flight arrivals or departures.


MetService meteorologist Karl Loot said up to 75mm of rain hit parts of the city from 3pm onwards, the highest was up to 30mm in an hour which was "particularly heavy rain".

Several members of the public posted photographs on social media showing the floodwaters outside the airport, including one where a man in a fluoro vest appeared to be in thigh-deep water on the main road. Broadcaster Tony Veitch posted a video on Facebook from the Koru Lounge showing water leaking from the ceiling. Out West, Henderson resident Bex Hurley posted a picture of two cars in her flooded driveway, with water almost up to the doors.

Check out the Koru lounge.. Akld airport. Bring on Chch haha!

Posted by Veitchy on Sport on Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Residents started reporting localised flooding in West and South Auckland just after 6pm.

Fire Service spokesman Jaron Phillips said emergency services received 100 calls and went to more than 60 homes and businesses to deal with flooding-related problems during the peak of the downpour.

In Rosehill residents watched as cars floated down the road.

Kevin Parkinson said there was about a metre of water in Chichester Dr and police cars were at each end to stop people from entering.

If you want to check power outages in your area, you can here.

"It's terrible, it's quite high."


Mr Parkinson said the amount of water was "quite amazing".

"I saw a vehicle floating on the side of the road. Another one was being pushed out," he said.

In Totara Heights floodwaters poured through Glenys and Ray Ogg's Cantua Close home.

Mrs Ogg, 69, said water came through the garage and spread down over two levels of the house, including the main bedroom which was "totally flooded".

"When you walk there's water pooling up around your feet, that's how much water has gone down in there," she said. "My husband came upstairs ... and called out and said 'we're under water'."

The couple have lived there for 18 years and never had flooding before. "That's the volume of water tonight that we've had," said Mrs Ogg.

"Never had water in the garage, never had it anything like tonight. Couldn't have imagined it."

She said despite offers from neighbours to go and sleep over, the couple would "bunk down" in one of their spare rooms overnight.

Ray White Real Estate agent Michael Thompson said the whole Glen Eden office was submerged.

"It was as if there was a stream running through the centre of our office."

A South Auckland woman said her flatmate had a scary experience on her way home.

"She was driving down Kidd Rd, Karaka. There's a bridge which is in a dip and she didn't see that it was overflowing until she hit the water."

The weather hit early afternoon, causing congestion on all of the main motorways after several crashes and problems on metal roads.

About 40 lightning strikes hit offshore in Northland within a two-hour period before the downpour hit Auckland.

The bulk of the rain had passed over the city by 10pm and Vector had restored power to most residents in St Heliers and Takanini.

But power to Glen Eden was cut to about 300 homes while repairs were carried out on the network.

Auckland is expected to have a break from further rain until Saturday.

Flooding in Henderson. Photo / Bex Hurley
Flooding in Henderson. Photo / Bex Hurley