A United States court has delivered another legal setback to Kim Dotcom with the United States Government winning a civil forfeiture case against the mogul.

As a result Dotcom has lost an estimated $67 million worth of assets to the United States including millions in cash, property, luxury cars, jet skis, large screen televisions and art.

Dotcom told the Herald on Sunday tonight it was not a fair trial and demonstrated the "sad state" of the United States justice system.

"By labelling me a fugitive the US court has allowed the US government to legally steal all of my assets without any trial, without any due process, without any test of the merits.

Advertisement

The asset forfeiture was a default judgement. I was disentitled to defend myself."

Dotcom said he would appeal the latest finding. His legal team had advised him the judgement stood little chance of surviving in New Zealand or Hong Kong courts.

"First the US judge ruled that I can't mount any defense in the asset forfeiture case because according to him I'm a 'fugitive'.

"Think about that for a moment. I have always said that I'm innocent. There was no conspiracy. I have done nothing wrong."

He claimed the US government acted to spare the New Zealand government the embarrassment of having to return all of his assets mid-April based on a ruling by the Court of Appeal.

" They would have had to return everything. Imagine all of the New Zealand media at the mansion when the police has to return everything, all my cars, my TV's, my servers and me directing them where to put my stuff."He said the injustice of the forfeiture attempt showed how desperate both the United States and the New Zealand government were.

Dotcom and his fellow Megaupload defendants are due to have an extradition hearing in June.

Last month Megaupload computer programmer Andrus Nomm pleaded guilty to internet piracy in a plea bargain deal which would see him serve minimal jail time in exchange for testify against his former colleagues.

Advertisement