They came for the costumes, the crowds and the carnival-like atmosphere - but not all, it seems, came to watch the rugby.

An informal survey of revellers leaving Westpac Stadium after New Zealand's second match of the Wellington Sevens yesterday found very few people actually knew the score.

Of the 10 groups interviewed by NZME. News Service, only one knew New Zealand had beaten Papua New Guinea by 38-7.

The walking dead have joined specialist Ebola biohazard teams, superheroes and chain gangs as crowds arrive for the Wellington Sevens. The two-day tournament started at midday and fans were enjoying the colour and quirkiness on display, although crowd numbers were down on last year's event.

But at least they knew who was playing, with nine of the 10 groups correctly identifying New Zealand's opponent - although it took some longer than others to remember.


Very few were able to name any New Zealand Sevens players, but for those who could, players such as Ambrose Curtis, DJ Forbes and Beaudein Waaka seemed to be favourites.

Two of the 10 groups knew that both Curtis and Waaka had scored tries in the team's second match, but six groups could not identify a single player from either team who had scored a try in the game.

Most of those interviewed thought New Zealand was on track to win the tournament.

However, one group said New Zealand was doing badly as they had not won a game "in ages" - despite the team winning both its matches so far that day.

When asked what they did inside the stadium, rugby seemed to be the last thing on most people's minds.

Many said they had enjoyed other activities such as eating, drinking and meeting new friends, with one even admitting they were "more there for the party than the rugby".

In fact, only one person said the main reason they came to the Sevens was for the rugby. Most of those interviewed were clearly under the influence of alcohol.

Many were quick to share their disappointment with the emptier than usual stadium this year.

"We hadn't come before and [it's] something we wanted to tick off our bucket list, but it's a little bit disappointing with how many people were there this year.

"We think maybe they all went to the Nines instead," one said.

As of yesterday, just over 20,000 tickets had sold for the 34,500 seat stadium in the capital.

However, Wellington Sevens general manager Steve Dunbar said he was confident last weekend's Rugby League Nines tournament had not taken a chunk of the Sevens' ticket sales.

He said 500-600 tickets were sold yesterday and a similar number was expected to go today.

The Sevens had given Wellington 15 years of "colour, vibrancy and success" and he was confident about the tournament's future, he said.

Research showed 70 per cent of Sevens spectators were from the greater Wellington region, so the Nines was not likely a major factor on ticket sales.

"There's room for both events," Mr Dunbar said. "There may be some [people] who have been to the Sevens several times and might go and try the Nines, or vice versa."

At 8pm yesterday, Inspector Terry Van Dillen said there had been about 60 evictions and nine arrests.

An NZME. News Service reporter witnessed a young man in a prisoner's costume and two dressed as surgeons in handcuffs outside the stadium entrance. Two others were also turned away by security for their behaviour towards journalists conducting interviews on the concourse.

The first game of the final day of the Sevens today kicks off at midday, with the final set to take place at 8.55pm.

Sevens' numbers

• 20,000 number of tickets sold
• 34,500 stadium capacity
• 500-600 tickets expected to be sold today
• 60 evictions from stadium by 8pm
• 9 arrests by 8pm yesterday