An alleged sex offender has been bailed to the same neighbourhood as his teenage accusers for a second time.

The man, 28, has been charged with indecently assaulting two 13-year-old girls as they walked in a park near his home in Sunnynook on Auckland's North Shore.

It is the second time in as many years he has been accused of indecency against young teens in his neighbourhood. Both times he has been bailed to his home close to where the alleged offending took place.

In the latest incident in October, police allege he approached the girls in a park and made lewd comments before asking them to accompany him to his home. When the girls refused, he allegedly touched them inappropriately.

He was arrested shortly afterwards at his home, just 600m from the park and less than 200m from the nearest school.

The Herald on Sunday understands he did not deny the incident. After appearing in the North Shore District Court, he was bailed to his home address.

In 2008, the man was charged with performing indecent acts in front of two sisters on two occasions as they walked home from school. The charges were later dismissed because of lack of evidence.

The father of the girls, aged 13 and 15, fought to have him remanded in custody or bailed further away from schools or school routes.

He said at the time his daughters were forced to change their route to school to avoid going past the house.

Yesterday, Katrina Hosken, who lives near Sunnynook Primary School, said she was worried about the man being bailed to an address so close to schools. "Young kids will be walking past his house going to school. This is a neighbourhood with young families, with lots of parks and bushes. It makes me feel unsafe to know someone accused of doing something like that is living nearby," she said.

Neighbour John Kim was worried about his 16-year-old daughter. "My daughter goes running in the park all the time and she and her friends wait for the bus on this road. It's supposed to be a safe area. What can we do?" he said.

A mother of a female student at Sunnynook Primary School said she was concerned about his bail address. "We'll definitely be keeping an eye open."

Many of the students walked through the park and past the bail address, she said.

Police declined to comment because the case was before the courts. It is understood the court has imposed strict bail conditions that the man is not allowed to contact the victims or go near the park.

He is due to reappear in court later this month.