MP Chris Carter's last-ditch attempt to save himself from expulsion from the Labour Party was quickly derailed yesterday by another tirade against leader Phil Goff and claims his gay colleagues failed to support him against homophobia.

Mr Carter yesterday announced he was withdrawing his nomination to be Labour Party candidate in Te Atatu.

His move came a day before nominations for the seat close and four days before the party's council meets to decide whether to expel him from the party for anonymously circulating criticism of Mr Goff.

Mr Carter made it clear he hoped his decision not to seek re-election would stop the party ejecting him by also ruling out the prospect of standing as an independent.

But he renewed his attack on Mr Goff saying he could not campaign for a leader he did not believe could lead Labour to success.

He also repeated his previous claims that the media were picking on him because he was gay, telling GayNZ.com Mr Goff was wrong to say it was not homophobic.

"Of course it's homophobic ... why was I different to everybody else?"

He said some of his gay colleagues had not supported him as he had hoped.

"Charles Chauvel's been great. I'd prefer not to speak ill of the others, but they have not been supportive. That was really difficult to deal with as well. But I don't want to sound bitter, nasty or unhappy."

He also revealed he recently approached Mr Goff "with clenched teeth" to seek a reconciliation, proposing a joint appearance in which he would confess to "a moment of madness" if Mr Goff admitted he had not given the proper support to Mr Carter during the furore over his travel and credit card spending.

He was rebuffed late last week and said he realised at that point his career as a politician was over.

Yesterday, he also repeated his belief he was picked on by media because he was gay - a claim he made previously and which Mr Goff had rejected.

Mr Goff said yesterday that Mr Carter left himself with no choice but to withdraw.

"This was the only realistic decision he could have made. Labour will soon be selecting a new candidate for Te Atatu. We have moved on."

He said he had already dealt with Mr Carter as caucus leader, and it was up to the council to take any further action.

Labour's president Andrew Little reacted with frustration to Mr Carter's last-minute decision, saying it would have no bearing on the disciplinary process.

He said Mr Carter had had two months to decide to pull out.

"Withdrawing the day before nominations close and four days before his disciplinary hearing is not persuasive."

He said the extent to which Mr Carter's decision and comments yesterday affected his case would be assessed on Monday.

There are 18 members on the council but the caucus representatives Phil Goff and Annette King have recused themselves from Monday's hearing because of their close interest in the matter.

Mr Little said he preferred not to comment on Mr Carter's renewed attack on Mr Goff because of the pending hearing.

- ADDITIONAL REPORTING: NZPA