It's the kind of story that would make any bloke cross his legs.

A 30-year-old man got a very personal part of his anatomy stuck in a flying fox at Christchurch's Bishopdale Park on Tuesday.

The city council is now checking all flying foxes in city parks to ensure there is no repeat of the incident.

Fire crews had to dismantle the flying fox seat to free the man about 9.30am.

It appears a malfunction caused the mechanism to move on the impact of the man hitting the end of the flying fox line - trapping his nether regions.

Fire crew said the man was "stoic" despite being in quite a lot of pain.

The man was treated by St John Ambulance staff at the scene for about 20 minutes, but did not require hospitalisation.

City council transport and greenspace manager Alan Beuzenberg said as a result of the incident work had been carried out on all other flying foxes to reduce the risk of repeated incidents.

"As part of the work undertaken on Wednesday all flying foxes had a bolt added to connect the sleeves to the chain and thereby prevent movement of the sleeve," he said.