A 4.5 magnitude earthquake struck Christchurch at 2.02pm this afternoon which follows a series of quakes including a 5.2 which hit at 1.21am this morning.
GeoNet reports that the latest quake was centred 10 km north-east of Lyttelton, 10 km east of Christchurch at a depth of 8km
The magnitude 5.2 earthquake was centred 20km east of Christchurch at a depth of 15km.
There have been five other earthquakes reported in Christchurch today with the latest reported at 7:39 pm:
* 7.39pm: Magnitude 3.3, 11km deep, 20km east of Christchurch
* 10.42am: Magnitude 3.6, 11km deep, 20km east of Christchurch
* 5.34am: Magnitude 3.2, 6km deep, 10km north-east of Christchurch
* 5.03am: Magnitude 3.4, 8km deep, 20km east of Christchurch
* 1.25am: Magnitude 3.9, 8km deep, 20km east of Christchurch
Yesterday a magnitude 5.0 earthquake struck just after experts predicted more quakes for the region at a high-level quake summit in the shaky city, organised by Mayor Bob Parker to "provide the full facts" for information-hungry citizens.
More than 9,500 aftershocks have hit the region since the September 4 quake.
- HERALD ONLINE