1. Murder charge laid over death of Connor Morris
A 33-year-old Massey man made a brief appearance before two Justices of the Peace in the Kaitaia District Court this morning charged with the murder of Connor Morris in Auckland on August 3.
He was granted name suppression and remanded in custody to appear in the Auckland High Court on September 3.
The man was arrested by Auckland police in the Kaitaia area this morning, his court appearance taking place without media notification, a measure designed to negate any potential for disorder in court.
It is not known if the arrested man has gang affiliations.
2. Hacker dump: Emails released
Some of the emails to and from Whaleoil blogger Cameron Slater which investigative writer Nicky Hager based his Dirty Politics book on have been posted online by an individual who claims they were hacked from Mr Slater's computer.
The emails include one sent in 2008 some months before John Key became prime minister from his press secretary Kevin Taylor to Mr Slater, which Mr Hager claims marked the beginning of a political dirty tricks campaign run by Mr Slater with the help of Mr Key's former senior communications advisor Jason Ede.
3. Boy bashed while walking home
A 12-year-old boy allegedly bashed by five high school students while walking home from school, was so badly injured his mother thought he'd been hit by a car.
Cherie Irving, of Hastings, said her son, Azaleas Quenton, was walking home with his bike on Friday afternoon when he was attacked from behind in Akina Park.
Azaleas was allegedly hit by an older boy and his head was smashed onto the handlebars of his bike. He fell to the ground, where the alleged assailants repeatedly kicked and stomped on him.
It is believed five teens were involved: three girls and two boys, all high school students.
4. Sorry to widow over benefit
The Social Development Ministry has apologised to a grieving widow who was paid the wrong pension and then placed on "stand-down" after her husband died.
The family say a Work and Income officer also wrongly disclosed confidential personal details about the family to a funeral director.
The ministry's general manager of senior services, Lindsay Meehan, rang the widow and her daughter to apologise after the Herald made inquiries, and said the ministry was investigating the case.
"We have handled [the] case poorly and I sincerely apologise," he said.
5. Cliff Richard in limbo as criticism of police raid grows
The police inquiry into Sir Cliff Richard came under mounting criticism after Dominic Grieve, a former British attorney-general, called its handling of the case "odd" and "very questionable".
Grieve, who left the Cabinet last month, accused the police of colluding with the BBC in a move which led to the search of Richard's home in Berkshire being filmed by the corporation.
Grieve, the most senior politician so far to cast doubt on the police tactics, suggested that the South Yorkshire force might even have been acting in breach of national guidelines in making public its investigation into an allegation that the singer sexually assaulted a boy at a concert almost 30 years ago.
The chorus of criticism grew with complaints by senior lawyers, politicians and fans that Richard was now being kept in a "cruel limbo" while police decide what to do next.
- nzherald.co.nz, NZ Herald, APNZ, Hawke's Bay Today, Daily Telegraph UK