A Christchurch woman says she's lost 2kg since finding a dead creature inside her beer.
Debbie Metcalfe was sitting at home enjoying a Pure Blonde beer with her husband on Saturday when she felt a tickle on her tongue.
Looking in the bottle, she saw what she thought was a decomposing lizard.
Disgusted and horrified, she instantly vomited but hasn't had the same appetite since.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
She said the brewery, Carlton United and Breweries, has since been in touch, telling her the creature was more likely a gecko.
"The brewery have made contact, it was probably a gecko and they are not poisonous. I am on a health kick at the moment and weigh myself every day, so I know that my weight went down by 2kg, but I was only sick once - immediately after noticing the lizard.
"I just have been off eating and drinking - the thought of it still makes me feel ill. No more beersies for me."
Metcalfe said she'd since had a doctor's appointment, as a precaution, and hadn't had any long-term effects, "apart from the gross factor".
After the discovery she put the lid back on and put it back in the fridge. It's due to be picked up by Ministry for Primary Industries [MPI] staff today.
"Since opening the bottle and exposing the contents to air it's rapidly decomposing."
The Herald is waiting for a response from Carlton and United Breweries.