The Ministry of Health has now listed 54 separate exposure events in Auckland - including trips to malls, bus routes a church service and SkyCity Casino - as New Zealand endures its first day of a strict nationwide lockdown in an effort to stop the spread of the Delta variant.
During their 1pm press conference, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and director general of health Dr Ashley Bloomfield warned there are likely to be many more locations of interest - and cases - in coming days.
Other locations that have been visited by potentially infectious people but have not yet been listed by the Ministry of Health include the AUT campus and Western Springs Football Club.
Auckland University of Technology Vice-Chancellor Derek McCormack wrote a letter to all staff this evening announcing a student is among those who have tested positive. The university had been contacted by Auckland Regional Public Health Service about the positive case, he said.
The student attended one of the university's largest lecture halls on Tuesday and was infectious at the time, the health service told school officials. The school has identified 84 other students who were in attendance, McCormack said.
"While this is not yet a complete picture, we are working closely with ARPHS and will provide more information as soon as we get it," he said. "This will be a shock for some people but please be assured we are working with the health experts to manage this situation and will keep you informed."
Health officials are unlikely to list all exposure events, instead narrowing down the field to "locations of interest" where it is deemed more contact tracing is needed.
Here are the locations that have been revealed so far.
• AUT city centre campus - August 17 between 11.30 and 1pm.
• Western Springs Football Club (180 Meola Rd) - August 13 evening and August 16 evening.
• Sumthin Dumplin (18 Wellesley Street East) - August 3 between 1.45 pm - 2.00 pm.
• Lynn Mall (3058 Great North Road) August 6 between 6.00 pm - 7.30 pm.
• Mexico Britomart (23 Britomart Place) - August 9 between 5.55 pm - 8.15 pm.
• Bus 97B Birkdale to Auckland CBD- August 10 between 1.30 pm - 12.00 pm.
• St Pierre's Sushi Auckland CBD - August 10 between 1pm and 1.15pm.
• The Warehouse Auckland CBD (21 Elliott Street) - August 10 between 1.15 pm - 1.30 pm.
• Event Cinemas Queen Street (1/291 Queen Street) - August 10 between 1.30 pm - 4.00 pm.
• Gongcha Bubble Tea (164 Queen Street)- August10 between 1.45 pm - 1.55 pm.
• St Pierres Sushi Elliot Street (20 Elliott Street) - August11 between 11.30 am - 12.00 pm.
• Event Cinemas Queen Street (1/291 Queen Street) - August 11 between 1.30 pm - 4.00 pm.
• Avondale College (51 Victor St) - August 12 between 8.45am and 3.15pm.
• Crumb Grey Lynn (Ariki St) - August 12 between 10am and 10.10am.
• Glasscorp Limited Albany (124 Bush Rd) - August 12 between 12.30pm and 1pm.
• Unique Hardware Rosedale (1/16 Arrenway Drive)- August 12 between 12.30 pm and 1pm.
• Avondale College (51 Victor St) - August13 between 8.45am and 3.15 pm.
• Starbucks Queen Street(220 Queen Street) - August 13 between 12.15 pm - 12.30 pm.
• Liquor King Ponsonby (254 Ponsonby Road) - August 13 between 6.15 pm - 6.30 pm.
• Sweat Shop Brew Kitchen (7 Sale St) - August 13 between 9pm and 12am.
• Denny's CBD (51 Hobson St) - August 13 between 1am and 1.30am
• Albany Westfield Mall (219 Don McKinnon Drive) - August 13 between 5.10 pm - 6.30 pm.
• Countdown Birkenhead (Cnr Highbury Pass) - August 13 between6.00 pm - 6.30 pm.
• Black Bull Liquor Store (54 Northcote Road) - August 13 between 6.40 pm - 6.45 pm.
• Chu Thai Eatery (224 Ponsonby Road) - August 13 between 6.30 pm - 8.00 pm.
• Liquor King Ponsonby (254 Ponsonby Road) - August 13 between 8.15pm - 8.45 pm.
• McDonald's Stoddard Road (22 Stoddard Road) - August 13 between 10.00 pm - 10.30 pm.
• Bar 101 (18 Elliott St) - August 13 between 11.33pm and 1.15am.
• SkyCity Casino (72 Victoria St) - August 14 between 1.15am and 3am.
• Bar 101 (18 Elliott Street) - August 14 between 3.00 pm - 3.15 am.
• McDonald's Glenfield Cnr (Glenfield & Kaipatiki Road) - August 14 between 1.00 am - 1.15 am.
• Pak n Save Wairau Road (30 Wairau Rd) - August 14 between 3.20pm and 3.50pm.
• Countdown Glenfield Mall Cnr (Bentley Ave & Glenfield Road) - August 14 between 5.00 pm - 5.15 pm.
• The Good Home Birkenhhead (83 Birkenhead Avenue) - August 14 between 6.30 pm - 7.00 pm.
• Central Auckland Church of Christ (52 Hepburn St) - August 15 between 10.15am and 12.02pm.
• BP Birkenhead (172-178 Mokoia Road) - August 15 between10.30 am - 10.45 am.
• Pak n Save Wairau (30-60 Wairau Road)- August 15 between 11.00 pm - 12.00 pm.
• Elliot Stables (1/41 Elliott Street) - August 15 between 12.10 pm - 1.00 pm.
• Latin Market near La Pachamama (near 179a Archers Road) - August 15 between 12.30 pm - 12.45 pm.
• Glenfield Mall / Katsubi Japanese (Glenfield Road & Downing Street) - August 15 between1.00 pm - 2.00 pm.
• The Pumphouse Theatre(2A Manurere Avenue) - August 15 between1.30 pm - 7.30 pm.
• Chartwell (27 Chartwell Avenue) - August 15 between 5.25 pm - 5.29 pm.
• Countdown, Lynfield (570 Hillsborough Road) - August 15 between 8.00 pm - 8.15 pm.
• BP Northcote (50 Northcote Rd) - August 15 between 7.15pm and 7.30pm.
• Devonport Pharmacy (33 Victoria Rd) - August 16 between 2.15pm and 2.30pm.
• Green Bay Takeaways (56B Godley Rd) - August 16 between 4pm and 4.15pm.
• Passion Bakery (34 Birkdale Rd) - August 16 between 12.45pm and 1.15pm.
• Countdown Birkenhead (Cnr Highbury Pass & Birkenhead Ave) - August 16 between 12.30pm and 12.45pm.
• Pizza Hut Birkenhead (3/75 Mokoia Road) - August 16 between 1.30 pm - 2.00 pm.
• Warehouse New Lynn (7/13 Rata St) - August 16 between 7.45am and 8.15am
• Countdown Birkenhead (Cnr Highbury Pass & Birkenhead Ave) - August 16 between 7am and 7.15am.
• Avondale College (51 Victor St) - August 16 between 8.45am and 12pm.
• Unichem Pharmacy Birkenhead (Birkenhead Avenue Shop 28, Highbury Shopping Centre) - August 17 between 9.15 am - 9.30 am.
• Mamak Malaysian Restaurant (50 Kitchener Street) - August17 between 1.15 pm - 1.30 pm.
• Remuera Exchange(2A Dilworth Avenue) August 17 between1.33 pm - 1.35 pm.
• Bus 25B City Centre to Blockhouse Bay - August 17 between 1.45 pm - 2.15 pm.
• Star and Garter Hotel (5 Kapanga Rd) - August 13 between 6.39pm and 7.40pm.
• Umu Cafe (22 Wharf Rd) - August 13 between 7.40pm and 8.30pm.
• BP Gas Station (Tiki Rd) - August 14 between 9.30am and 9.40am.
• Driving Creek Railway Tours (380 Driving Creek Rd) - August 14 between 10.30am and 10.50am.
• Jaks Cafe & Bar (104 Kapanga Rd) - August 14 between 10.50am and 11.30 am.
• Driving Creek Railway Tours (380 Driving Creek Rd) - August 14 between 11.20am and 1pm.
• Hereford 'n' a Pickle (2318 Colville Rd, RD 4, Colville) - August 14 between 1.25pm and 2.15pm.
• Taras Beads (1/75 Kapanga Rd) - August 14 between 3pm and 3.10pm.
• Richardsons Real Estate (151 Kapanga Rd) - August 14 between 3.30pm and 3.35pm.
• Umu Cafe (22 Wharf Rd) - August 14 between 6.17pm and 7.11pm.
• Star and Garter Hotel (5 Kapanga Rd) - August 14 between 7.11pm and 9pm.
• Taras Beads (1/75 Kapanga Rd) - August 15 between 10am and 10.05am.
• Umu Cafe (22 Wharf Rd) - August 15 between 10.14am and 11.10am.
• Woodturners Café (3815 State Highway 2) - August 15 between 12.40pm and 1.25pm.
SkyCity said in a statement Auckland Regional Public Health Service informed the company about the infected customer at 1.30pm today. It would have been around the same time Ardern and Bloomfield mentioned the case to the nation.
"The health and wellbeing of SkyCity's employees and customers is paramount and we have robust contact tracing protocols in place to be able to respond rapidly," the statement said.
"We are awaiting information from the Auckland Public Health unit that will assist us in reviewing our systems, including surveillance footage from the period that the customer was on site."
Avondale College sent a note to its nearly 2800 students this afternoon, informing them that each one is now considered a "close contact" and will have to isolate for two weeks, regardless of whether the lockdown persists, the student tests negative or if the person has been vaccinated.
Students and staff are instructed to get a Covid-19 test immediately, followed by additional tests on Monday August 23 and Sunday August 29.
"The people you live with do not need to do anything unless you, or they, develop symptoms," the Auckland Regional Public Health Service said in a letter to the school. "If this happens, you and they will need to get tested."
What you need to know
Auckland and Coromandel are now in level 4 lockdown for seven days – and the rest of the country for three days.
A 58-year-old Devonport man tested positive Monday after visiting a GP. He was infectious from August 12. The man, who isn't vaccinated, and his wife travelled to Coromandel over the weekend. His wife is fully vaccinated.
Multiple other cases have been announced since then, including a workmate of the Devonport man and five cases linked to the workmate.
Genome testing shows the source of the nation's woes is indeed the Delta variant, linked to the New South Wales outbreak.