Police say the Christchurch dog attack on Saturday was at a residential property on Bevin Place, Bryndwr. Photo / Google Maps
Police say the Christchurch dog attack on Saturday was at a residential property on Bevin Place, Bryndwr. Photo / Google Maps
No previous complaints were reported to Christchurch City Council about the two dogs involved in Saturday’s attack in the suburb of Bryndwr.
The incident left one person fighting for their life and two others injured.
On Sunday, the council said the dogs had been impounded pending a police investigation.
“Theowner may voluntarily surrender the dogs for euthanasia or on conviction, the court must grant an order for destruction unless the owner can demonstrate exceptional circumstances as to why the dogs should not be destroyed,” the council said.
“No decisions have been made and we have no further comment to make at this time.”
RNZ reported that a woman was seen being attended to by paramedics while another person was on a stretcher before being put into an ambulance.
Acting Superintendent Ash Tabb, Christchurch metro acting area commander, said emergency services responded to reports of a dog attack at an address on Bevin Place.
“The incident, at a residential property on Bevin Place, was reported to police about 2.45pm,” Tabb said.
“Emergency services located three people with injuries ranging from moderate to critical, and they are being transported to hospital.”
The two dogs at the property were restrained by animal control and taken from the property.
“There is no ongoing risk to the public and a scene examination will be carried out. At this time, no further information is available.”
‘Disastrous, tragic event’
Fendalton councillor David Cartwright told NZME yesterday it was “tragic” to hear of this attack.
“My absolute thoughts go out to everybody involved, the family, and even the first responders having to come and attend to them,” Cartwright said. “It’s a disastrous, tragic event.”
He said to the best of his knowledge, there have not been many dog attacks in Christchurch in recent times.
“Obviously, today’s attack is worrying, but I take heart in that the police say that there’s no further risk to the community,” Cartwright said.
He said the council has a dog bylaw, which is regularly reviewed.
“I will be asking staff to have a look at the current bylaws just to ensure that they are fit for purpose,” he said.
Second serious dog attack in a week
The incident comes after 62-year-old Mihiata Te Rore was killed in an attack that involved three dogs at a Kaihu property on State Highway 12 in Northland on Tuesday.
She was attacked while visiting someone she knew in the Kaipara settlement.
The dogs involved in Tuesday’s fatal mauling will be destroyed, Kaipara District Council confirmed.
Police conduct searches and hold cordons at a property near a dog attack in the Northland settlement of Kaihu. Photo / Jason Dorday
Kaipara District Mayor Jonathan Larsen said the situation earlier this week was “tragic”.
Local Government Minister Simon Watts called the event a tragedy and said his thoughts were with the victim’s family and the wider community.
“Roaming dogs are a serious issue facing many communities across the country, and I share the frustration of those dealing with them,” Watts told the Herald.
Te Rore’s death was the third fatal dog attack in Northland in the past five years.