In a statement, an Ikea spokesperson told the Herald the call out yesterday afternoon was due to a sprinkler in the store being activated.
“The fire brigade attended as part of standard procedure, and the situation was promptly resolved. There was no fire, and this has had no impact on our opening plans,
“We look forward to welcoming customers to our store on December 4.”
Ikea announced plans to open its first Aotearoa store in 2018. Doors of the 34,000sq m retail hub, which will be the Scandinavian company’s furthest outpost from their Swedish base, are set to open on December 4.
The shop will have living room, kitchen and bedroom installations and a children’s play area. It will also have click-and-collect facilities and about 7500 products available for purchase.
A 426 seat food court will offer globally loved dishes alongside a selection of New Zealand‑only menu items.
Construction of the store began in June 2023. Prime Minister Christopher Luxon previously told the Herald Ikea’s arrival was exciting for New Zealand and a positive sign for foreign investment.
“It means more jobs.”
The Swedish retailer originally planned to hire 400 workers, but later increased that to figure, saying team members would number 500 by the time it opens the Sylvia Park store opens. In September, Ikea said it had received 25,000 applications for those positions.
In October Ikea’s parent company, Ingka Investments, bought 10,000ha of production forestry in Northland.
Ikea currently operates in 31 other countries.