Three people charged over the fatal shooting of a Covid-infected Auckland father are self-isolating, while a fourth person accused of murder is still on the run.
Two men and a woman jointly charged with the murder of Robert "Robbie" James Hart were phoned into Waitākere District Court today from custody units they are self-isolating in.
Police have a warrant issued for the arrest of a fourth person accused of Hart's murder, who has "significant" gang connections and is considered dangerous.
Hart, 40, was allegedly shot and killed on a driveway on Great North Rd, New Lynn, on Friday morning, leaving behind two young sons.
He has since tested positive for Covid-19. Family who were close contacts were told to self-isolate, and could not attend a small graveside service that took place yesterday, the Herald understands.
"An additional death in Auckland has today been added to the national Covid-19 figures," the Ministry of Health said.
"This person's death is subject to a police investigation and the Ministry will not be commenting further on it, at this stage."
A homicide investigation lasted five days before police arrested and jointly charged three people yesterday with his murder - two men in their 30s and a woman aged 20.
Their matters were called in Waitākere District Court today. Each was granted interim name suppression and remanded in custody until their next appearance.
They are scheduled to appear at the High Court in Auckland on December 1.
A fourth person allegedly involved, Dylan Hames Mitchell Harris, is still on the run.
Police are appealing for the public to help them locate the 35-year-old, who has "significant" gang connections across the North Island.
"He is considered dangerous and should not be approached," said Detective Inspector Kevin McNaughton.
Harris is around 182cm tall, of medium build and has a full sleeve tattoo on his left arm.
Anyone who sees Harris should call 111 immediately.
People with information can also contact the inquiry team directly on (09) 839 0602 or call Crime Stoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
"Robert was senselessly killed," Detective Inspector Kevin McNaughton said earlier this week.
"He is survived by his two young children who will now grow up without their father in their lives."
An investigation team carried out a search warrant at a West Auckland house yesterday with the assistance of the Armed Offenders Squad, police said.
Mourning Robert Hart
Because Hart tested positive for Covid-19, only a small group were allowed to gather at a West Auckland cemetery to mourn instead of the maximum of 25 people currently allowed in Auckland.
"It's a devastating blow for us all as he deserved a beautiful send-off," said a friend, who the Herald agreed not to name.
"He was one of a kind. Full of life with a heart of gold.
"He loved his family and he loved his children. He was a passionate and extremely talented musician.
"Always happy and always keen to make everybody laugh. He will be solely missed by us all."
Flowers have been placed near the driveway where he died, along with written tributes including from one of his sons.
"I love you dad, you were the best daddy ever," the message read.
Meanwhile staff at the New Haven Motel, next to the driveway, told the Herald a cleaner saw Hart being shot two metres from the window of a motel unit.
On the morning of the man's death a car with a number of people pulled into the motel car park, and a staff member asked them to leave.
"Next thing, I heard the bang and the girl screaming over here saying, 'Someone just shot that guy'."