Perhaps it's the overarching mood of trying to get through tough times that has fashion designers thinking of more practical wear lately; versatile clothes and accessories that aren't superfluous or decorative, but serve a purpose in getting things done. But whatever the motivation, a good winter boot is a good winter boot, and once more this season you'll be spoilt for choice. Ahead of the pack, however, is a black flat boot, versatile enough to wear with casual favorites like jeans or as the third component of a failsafe combination of a warm winter dress and tights. Chelsea boots, a perennial winter favourite, make a welcome return, however, their less preppy cousin, rebellious biker boots with hardware details encourage a no-fuss attitude - perfect for when you're out battling the elements.
Top tips for taking care of your leather boots
• Wipe away any excess dirt with a clean cloth or brush.
• Use a leather cleaner to buff, and shine your boots with a soft cloth.
• Condition using a leather conditioner.
• Leave to dry - do not use soaps or cleansers.
1. Merchant 1948 'Patricia' ankle boot $159.90.
2. Lipstik 'Hypnotize' boots, $100, from Iconic.
3. Progeto 'Amber' boots, $390, from Scarpa.
4. Dune London 'Parka' boot $250.
5. Fiorenti & Baker 'Eternity' boots, $750, from Runway.
6. Prada buckled leather boots, about $1263, from Net-a-Porter.
7. Isabel Marant Etoile 'Teylon' studded boot, about $730, from Matches.
8. Dune London 'Roxbury' boot $280.