A last minute equaliser from captain Ross Haviland earned Hawke's Bay United a home 2-2 draw with Team Wellington in the second round of the ASB Premiership yesterday.

With time winding down and Team Wellington set to earn their second win in as many starts this season, Haviland powered in a header from a corner to get his team on the board in the second round of the competition.

Earlier, Henry Fa'arodo had given the visitors a 54th minute 2-1 lead when he took the ball down expertly with his chest and turned fired beyond Hawke's Bay goalkeeper Josh Hill.

Team Wellington's Jarrod Smith opened the scoring against his old side with a seventh minute strike before the home team quickly got back on level terms through a deflected Sean Lovemore drive which looped it's way over Michael O'Keeffe in the visitors' goal.


Team Wellington coach Matt Calcott conceded that the home side were good value for the late equaliser after his team had picked up their effort in the second period.

"I think they were worth a point today," Calcott said. "They did well and I thought they created a few chances. From our side it was a disappointing first half but we came on in the second half and then obviously we weren't concentrating in the last minute at the set piece.

"It's disappointing to not come away with three points but over the course of 90 minutes they deserved something."

In Wellington, the Phoenix Reserves picked up their first ASB Premiership win with a 3-0 romp over the SC Wanderers at Newton Park.

The Phoenix, featuring professionals Kenny Cunningham, Tyler Boyd, Jason Hicks, Lewis Italiano, Josh Brindell-South and Matthew Ridenton, made light work of the Wanderers, who fielded new All Whites Deklan Wynne and Adam Mitchell.

Phoenix attacking duo Cunningham and Boyd both scored in the first 25 minutes before the Wanderers conceded an own goal in the second half.

Hawke's Bay United 2-2 Team Wellington (half: 1-1)
HB: OG 12', Ross Haviland 90'
TW: Jarrod Smith 7', Henry Fa'arodo 54'

Wellington Phoenix Reserves 3-0 SC Wanderers (half: 1-0)
WPR: Kenny Cunningham 8', Tyler Boyd 26', OG 65'
SCW: none