Candidates for the star of The Bachelor New Zealand will be probed by a psychologist - and their former partners could be quizzed - during rigorous screening checks.

The Kiwi version of the hit reality show is coming to TV3 next year. Last week a hunt was launched for 25 bachelorettes keen to meet the man of their dreams.

Series' producer Anna Lynch revealed to the Herald on Sunday several promising bachelors were also being scoped nationwide.

"We will be looking at dozens of guys who will be interviewed by a psychologist.

Advertisement

"There will be psychometric tests and criminal background checks done and it is possible ex-partners could be contacted as part of this process.

"This is standard practice for a reality show like The Bachelor."

The bachelorettes, aged 21 to 35, are being sought through casting calls via More FM. The male star, however, will be chosen by talent spotters.

Lynch said the bachelor was expected to be in his mid-20s to mid-30s.

"Candidates will be approached and invited for a chat. We have our eyes peeled in cities and towns around New Zealand. If you are tall and handsome, but not necessarily dark, then expect a tap on the shoulder. This is the criteria used by most international versions of the show."

Although looks would be important, personality would also play a big part in the selection process. "Our bachelor will have to be sincere and not just a beefcake. They will have to be genuinely looking for love and they will also have to have something between the earballs, so to speak."

The bachelor and bachelorettes would have rent and mortgage costs and any relocation expenses covered while taking part in the show.

As well, contestants would receive a modest daily allowance for expenses such as food and travel.

The bachelor would probably fare best financially as he would have to be available for the entire series, to be filmed over a two month-plus period starting in January.

The mansion to be used for the series is a closely guarded secret. It is believed the property will be on the outskirts of Auckland.

"Having the right entertainment and outdoor spaces ideal for filming romantic scenes where all the magic happens will be more important than having a place with numerous bedrooms," Lynch said.

Contestants would be required to sign a strict confidentiality agreement to stop inappropriate material being leaked to the public.

The Australian version of the show hit trouble last year when nude pictures of Aussie bachelor Tim Robards appeared on the internet.

The show was a runaway success with more than one million tuning in.

Robards is still with winning bachelorette Anna Heinrick.

And as the search for the New Zealand-based bachelor gathers pace, one recently eligible man with all the right credentials - and a large house to match - has been ruled out of the running.

"I can tell you Kim Dotcom hasn't applied. We are okay with that," Andrew Szusterman, director of group entertainment content for local makers MediaWorks said.