A contestant on Wipeout has died after completing the game show's obstacle course, authorities and sources close to the production said Friday.
The man in his 30s was declared dead at a hospital shortly before 7pm on Wednesday, Los Angeles County coroner's spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said. The man's name was being withheld until relatives could be notified.
The male contestant needed medical attention after completing the course and was tended to by emergency personnel who were already on-site, TMZ reports.
The on-site personnel then called paramedics, who rushed the man to the hospital, where he later died.
Law enforcement sources said that they received a cardiac arrest call just before noon. They added that the medics on the scene were already using a defibrillator on the contestant.
The reality competition show, in which contestants navigate an extreme obstacle course featuring giant balls and pitfalls that often result in spectacular crashes, ran on ABC from 2008 until 2014 and is being rebooted by TBS and production company Endemol Shine North America.
The show stopped production Thursday and Friday and has a planned week off next week, they said. Its contestants undergo a medical exam before competing.
"We are devastated to have learned of his passing and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family," TBS said in a statement.
Endemol Shine released a statement saying, "We offer our heartfelt condolences to the family and our thoughts are with them at this time."
TBS announced in April that the show would be returning, and it said in September said its new hosts would be John Cena and Nicole Byer. No premiere date had been set yet.
The death was first reported by TMZ.