Apricots go really well with chicken, adding a kind of sweet and sour flavour. This is a great go-to dinner, using ingredients you usually have in the pantry and is quick and easy. It freezes and reheats well too.
|1 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil, (we love Olivado)|
|1||Waitoa whole free-range chicken, cut into pieces (Main)|
|2 cloves||Garlic, chopped|
|3 Tbsp||Tomato paste, (we love Chantal Organics)|
|1 can||Chopped tomatoes|
|1 Tbsp||Sweet chilli chicken sauce, (we love Lee Kum Kee)|
|1 can||Apricots, (400g), halved, drained (Main)|
|1 cup||Chicken stock, (we love Continental)|
|1 tsp||Fresh thyme, chopped (we love Superb Herb)|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or saucepan and brown chicken pieces for 2-3 minutes on both sides until lightly browned. Set chicken aside.
- Drizzle a little more oil into the same pan and fry onion and garlic until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add back the chicken, along with the tomato paste, sweet chilli sauce, herbs, tomatoes, apricots, water and chicken stock. Roughly break up the apricots with a wooden spoon.
- Stir all ingredients together and partially cover with a lid.
- Simmer on medium heat for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Serve hot with rice, couscous or mash, and greens. Sprinkle fresh thyme on top.
Note: This dish works well cooked in a Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Round Casserole dish.