Add tons of flavour to beef with a tasty ginger-soy mixture, then fill a bowl with a bed of rice, add the beef, loads of veggies and top it all off with pickled onion and a sensational mayo. This is a recipe for a meal you won't forget!
|1 drizzle||Olive oil|
|2 ½ cups||Water, for the rice|
|¾ cup||Jasmine rice|
|½ cup||White wine vinegar|
|½ cup||Water, for the onion|
|5 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
|2 ½ Tbsp||Honey|
|500 g||Beef stir-fry|
|6 small bunches||Choy sum|
|60 g||Japanese dressing|
|100 g||Coconut sweet chilli mayonnaise|
|16 g||Crispy shallots|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Add the water (for the rice) to a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the jasmine rice, stir, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 12 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat and keep covered until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed, 10-15 minutes. TIP: The rice will finish cooking in its own steam so don't peek!
- While the rice is cooking, thinly slice the red onion (see ingredients). In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, water (for the onion) and a generous pinch of sugar and salt. Scrunch the onion in your hands, then add to the pickling liquid. Stir to coat, then set aside until serving. TIP: Stir the onion occasionally so it stays submerged.
- While the onion is pickling, finely grate the ginger and garlic. In a medium bowl, combine the ginger, garlic, soy sauce and honey. Add the beef strips and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate. Thinly slice the carrot (unpeeled) into half-moons. Trim the broccolini, then slice into thirds. Roughly chop the Asian greens.
- In a large frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add the carrot and broccolini and cook until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add the Asian greens and cook until wilted, 1 minute. Transfer the veggies to a large bowl, then add the Japanese dressing and toss to coat.
- Return the frying pan to a high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the beef strips in batches, shaking off any excess marinade, and cook, tossing, until browned, 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. TIP: Cooking the meat in batches over a high heat helps it stay tender.
- Drain the pickled onion. Divide the jasmine rice between bowls and top with the sesame veggies, Japanese beef and pickled onion. Garnish with the crispy shallots and serve with the coconut sweet chilli mayonnaise.